Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Brides

Busy as the last two days were, I sure am glad I took that impromptu break in the middle of the week! I had a bride’s wedding henna booked in for Thursday, and another bride’s nikkah henna for Friday. AND I had my Final Year Project [thesis] proposal defense at 9 am on Saturday! Talk about high-pressure!
HennArt, a tiny body-art and customized wedding accessories business, is my baby. I have always loved mehndi. The scent, the shades and colors, the scratch of the cone-tip on ones palm, what’s not to love? And I love pretty much all that is associated with it too –weddings, hope, excitement, love, dressing up, fattening food [=p], dance practices- the list goes on and on!
What I like best, though, is meeting so many new people on a regular basis. I’m a people-person, and there’s nothing I like more than getting to know different individuals, finding out what makes them who they are, getting to know their story. My clients are mostly brides, and over the [roughly] four hours it takes for me to do heavy bridal henna, we truly bond. I invite them to relax and make themselves comfortable because very soon they’re going to have to sit up in a heavy jora [AND smile] for hours anyway. And I talk. Usually, they talk back.
We spend these hours chatting about the random-est things ever. I like hearing their wedding plans –what they’re wearing, who are they going to for make-up, and are the mehndi dances all prepared? Some of them will share other things too: Their apprehensions, emotions, and joy; their satisfaction, fears and hopes; their histories and their plans for the future. And often, I will hear love stories.
It’s a beautiful thing to be a part of. It makes me feel as if I’m contributing, somehow, to make their time special.

Frequently, their stories make me evaluate my own self. I hear about their set-backs, their triumphs, and their journeys. They give me an insight into so many diverse perspectives, so many different life-styles and points-of-view. Their happiness makes me inexplicably happy, though I know I’ll perhaps never see most of them again. And I say a little prayer for every single one of these women, who are taking an immense leap into the unknown, unpredictable future.

I wish them lasting happiness, a healthy life, and kind, thoughtful associates. I wish them love. And most importantly, I wish them the best of qismet.

Here are some of the photographs from HennArt this week:

Thursday
Pretty feet!

She chose the design off the internet, unfortunately I don't know the source so I can not give due credit!
 
Friday
 
Adnan's Bride! =D
 
Her brother chose this design off my fb page, where I had uploaded the henna from Thursday! =)
Oh oh and here's the link to my facebook business page : 


3 comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...