Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Final Year Trip

I was so scared I wouldn't be able to go, especially because very few girls were going, and I knew my parents would have a problem about it. But this trip is like the final glaze on the fantastic four years spent at uni, and there was no way I was ready to miss it, even if I was the only female going. The six days we spent touring the northern areas of Pakistan were well worth all the begging, cajoling and anxiety that went before! 

I swear, those six days, it felt like we were in a movie. You know, Dil Chahta Hai type. Or even Rang De Basanti but without the bloodshed. Driving around country lanes with friends, breath taking scenic beauty all around... life was spectacular.   

We spent hours and hours (and hours) in our buses and, later, in our jeeps, singing songs, playing countless hands of bluff, snacking randomly and sleeping [those of us who could].
Zain, asleep on  the poor drivers shoulder on the jeep ride to Astore
The driver finally made him sit in the back!

I could, obviously, sleep.
There were trekking and hiking trips...

 
Hiking to Rama Lake
...and splashing about in nearly frozen lakes...

We had this competition about who could stay in the freezing water longest and I WON I swear
 My shocking pink slipperssss <3

And then there was the trip to the Deosai Plains, to see the spectacular frozen lake. We were the first tourists after the thaw, and locals by the road side cheered up on as we passed through the fantastic vistas in our open jeep. A small pack of wild horses crossed our path, manes flying in the winds, to disappear over a small hillock. The snow, the patches of greenery... even the clouds were amazingly beautiful.
Astore Valley

Astore Valley


A view of The Killer Mountain (NangaParbat) from Raikot

The Deosai Plains
The lake itself just took our breath away. Cradled in the midst of mountains on one side and plains on the others, the lake was absolutely still. It seemed, standing there, as if Time had frozen in that valley. The water of the lake had frozen in waves, each crest and trough easily discernible. We could only stare at it in awe and wonder at the beauty of God and His creations.
The spectacular Deosai Lake


On the way back, we had another amazing experience:

Yes, we peed here.
Yes, the rest of the thirteen vehicles [and some seventy guys] waited =D
The trip would not have been this awesome but for my friends, who stood by me through all my fights with the ignorant faculty supervisor, shared their food with me, got me countless cups of coffee, put up with my bossy ways.... the list goes on and on. =)
Our fugly snow-weirdo in Deosai

Our Rama attempt, Astore
 There was so much dust on the road!

In front of the frozen Deosai Lake


Photography by: Usman Zahid, Najeen, Rehan Tariq, Fahad Raza, Fatema Ahmed

2 comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...